June 7, 2004
The morning was filled with anticipation. I sent Tripp to work with my cell phone and strict instructions to answer NO MATTER WHAT!! Today was the day. Rumors were flying around; larger agencies were reporting that referrals had been mailed and should be received Monday or Tuesday. Everyone in clinic was on edge. My beeper was turned up as loud as it would go. I systematically went about my job of seeing patients. At 9:45 someone convinced me to call.
No, we have not received any packages but we will page you if we do" was the response. I convinced myself it would not be the day and after a moment of sadness continued to work. At 10:25 my beeper went off outside of the exam room that I was in. I remember the patient and his mother - they had conflicting stories about his abdominal pain and I was trying my best to get a clear picture from them. A nurse stuck her head in. "Julie, that was your beeper and it is an outside number" she said with nervous excitement. I quickly finished and apologised to Dr C - "terrible history, I know but they could not agree and this is it!"My hands were shaking as I recognized the number and dialed."Hey Julie, we have your referral. I am looking at your daughter and she is so beautiful"
"We are on our way" I said.
"Don't you want to know about her?" she asked
I wanted to scream YES YES YES tell me everything but I had promised Tripp we would find out together and so she just said "She is beautiful and tiny and very, very young"
I think I screamed and someone raced to get my purse while I call Tripp.
"Get ready to be a Dad" I said when he answered the phone.
"I'll meet you there" he said and hung up the phone without another word.
I ran the 3 blocks from the hospital to my car.
We met in the agency's parking lot. I remember holding hands as we went up the stairs and into the office. We sat down and were told that she was from Qingyuan SWI in Guangdong, she looks to be healthy and her birthday is 12/08/2003. I could not do the math in my head fast enough before she said "That makes her only 5 months, 6 months tomorrow. She is the youngest baby I think we have ever been referred."
And then she asked "would you like to see her?'
We could barely whisper yes.
She turned over 3 pictures and we had our first glimpse of our daughter
Mary Austin ZuHong
Photo taken May 2004

We were in love in an instant!
June 2008 My baby no more but always remember that you are special.
"Why?" you may ask.
Simple - You made me a mother.
4 comments:
Happy Referral Day!! Precious Mae was made for your family!!
Happy referral day Mae! Anna Grace's referral day was today. I can't believe it's already been four years. Wow.
Congratulations on such a special anniversary!
Kim
Oh my word. You made me cry. At work. Beautiful...thanks for sharing. Those are the days we will never forget.
Kate
Post a Comment