Monday, October 27, 2008

Spider Mommy

This picture is called "Spider Mommy" by Mary Austin Zuhong Head.
The following in an interpretation as told to me by the artist.
That is you as a spider. Jane Harris is in your belly. You have lots of flowers around you because you are about to have Jane cut out of your belly (yes, JH was a c-section) and people are happy so they all gave you flowers and candy. There is no candy in the picture because "you have already gobbled up all the candy". The other spider is Daddy. (Note other spider at top right). As you can see Daddy is upside down, has all 8 legs plus 2 eyes on the top of his head (which is really the bottom since he is upside down). I asked why I did not have 8 legs.
The reply: "well, you do but one is under your big fat belly because it makes you wobbly"
Nice.
For the record I was so sick with JH that I was the same weight when I gave birth that I was pre-pregnancy.
Mary Austin then went on to tell me that when she was a mommy she would just go to China and adopt.
So sweet until she continued with "because no way is someone cutting open my belly".

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a story! What an imagination (& great recollection of actual events!!) Funny how kids see things..not at ALL noticing that you remained the same weight! Who does that? I gained 85# with each..AND had them cut out of my belly and THAT'S a great reason to bring home #3 from China :)

carrhop said...

This is adorable! I love the story that goes with the image--she certainly packs a lot of detail in her work!

You have a darling buddy artist!
Blessings!