Monday, July 13, 2009

A letter* to Mary Austin...

Mary Austin,
Five years ago you joined our family and made us complete. It seems like just yesterday that we were in China; yet, I cannot remember life before you. I am so proud of the girl that you have become. You are just the right amount of sweet and sassy. You adore your baby sister. You have declared that one day you will adopt a baby from China.
This year you started K5 and you are thriving. You love your teachers and have made new friends. So far, you have had perfect behavior - never once moving from the green light. Everyday you come home with new knowledge and a new library book.
You now ride your bike without training wheels and are in Rec 5/6 in gymnastics. You can do a cartwheel, round-off, back bend, back walkover, handstand forward roll, split leaps on the beam and tons more! You are swimming like a fish but you did not like swimming laps during swim lessons. You declared that next summer you wanted to take "diver team".
You are learning to read and know your phone number, address, city and state. You also write your full name with no help on spelling! You and I also spent a week at Camp Cosby. You did had so much fun and never once asked to stay with me in the nurses cabin.
Daddy and I love you so much and thank God everyday for the miracle of you.
Before I knew your name,
Before I saw your chin and your nose,
Before I counted your fingers and toes,
I asked heaven for someone as wonderful as you,
And ever prayer and wish came true.
I dreamed of you...Before I knew your name.
--Bob Carlisle
**written September 1, 2009