Saturday, March 29, 2008

Morocco - Part IV

Souvenirs! Souvenirs! Souvenirs!
Much like China there is a vast amount of things to entice even the most frugal shopper!
Here are just a few of the things I brought home!
On my list for next time, a "party" Djellaba (traditional dress of Moroccan women - the party ones are usually silk with lots of beading) and a tangine!
Traditional doll - the water seller - legs and face are of camel skin/hide.
Water sellers are everywhere and for less than 7 dirhams he will sell you a cup of water from his sheepskin bag. He only has about 4 cups that are made of brass so I did not go for this!
Camel carved from tashy wood - indigenous only to Morocco. It is a very soft wood and hard to find pieces that have not broken! I was lucky that I found one and lucky that it did not break on the way home!
Fancy women's slippers (hand)made to wear with the Djellaba!
I love the way the toes turn up!

I bought the princesses some slippers as well! Who could resist!

Mae calls them her "Aladdin slippers"!


One of the 2 carpets I purchased! This one has the 3 types of carpet weaves that are done.
Carpet up close - The diamonds represent the Eye of Fatima, the stars in top middle are representative of Fez and the remainder are mostly traditional Berber tattoos.
My lantern! I cannot wait to hang it in our foyer!

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Look at all the great stuff!!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

I love the shoes!! Bring it on!