Looking at my calender today I realized that Jane's namesake, my mother's sister, would have had a birthday this week. I am so happy that she was able to see Mary Austin and know that she knew Jane Harris before any of us did. (Click to read the story of why we named Jane after her). Jane Harris certainly looks like her father but she acts like myself and an "Austin". One good example is that she calls Mary Austin "tit-ta". Now, I am sure many toddlers learning to speak say "tit-ta" for sister but the first time I heard Jane Harris say it I nearly fainted. You see, "tit-ta" was what my Aunt Jane called my mother. Aunt Jane was the baby with my mother being about 12 years older than her. One of my most favorite stories of the two of them happened when Jane was a toddler and calling my mother "tit-ta". My mother was in junior high. Remember that stage of trying to be cool and impress everyone? The paperboy had come to collect his money from their mother, aka Great-Mimi. Mom thought she would be "cool" and back the car up "just a little" with Jane in the backseat. Unfortunately she somehow mistook the gas and brake pedals and shot off towards the street. The car landed in a ditch; Great-Mimi skinned her knees from hanging on to the door handle and subsequent dragging, and the paperboy decided that his money was not that important and ran away. From then on whenever they were going anywhere, Jane would ask "oh, is tit-ta goin' drive". I am not sure why but every time I hear or even think about this story I cannot control the laughter. So, Happy Birthday Aunt Jane and "no, tit-ta is not driving!"
6 comments:
LOL ~ I like that :D I am just picturing the incredible scrapbook you must have for the girls! What wonderful stories, thanks for sharing :D
Thanks for making me smile- (actually, laugh out loud at my desk). I had forgotten that story and it's one of my favorites, too! Love, Jen
Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm always excited to "meet" another precious Qingyuan baby!
Valorie
www.ourtwolittleblessings.blogspot.com
Julie, thanks for the visit and the comment, yes, I think I know what you mean about the "girls clothes" thing!! How do you pick and choose when they're all so adorable?! Sigh!! I've cut WAY back in the last few months and trying to focus on other things seeing how it's still a good time away until we even have her!! :)
I loved this story! And the one about Jane's namesake you gave the link to. Great family tales! I will have to check beak again :).
Amy
What a great story! Love the namesake too...
Post a Comment